Friday, September 11, 2015

Guest Blog Questions and Answers - Kathryn Lively

This week I'm honored to introduce Kathryn Lively - little known fact it was Kathryn that actually got me into writing in the first place!

As Kathryn says in the interview she has worked with a large number of authors in the past and there are many of us who will always be thankful for her guidance so I'm supper excited to be able to have her over here answering questions! She's also a self confessed massive fan of the band Rush so what's not to like.

What was it that got you into writing?

I have been writing since elementary school, so you could say it's something that's a part of me. As for writing professionally, I had planned to become a journalist. After taking a creative writing class in college, fiction hooked me. I published my first story at 19, and finished my first novel before I was 30. I haven't looked back.

What was your first piece of published work?

My first book, Little Flowers, was published in 1999. It's inspirational fiction, and came about through writing exercises I engaged in during Lent a few years prior. The story focuses on a small church community in the wake of the murder of an abortion practitioner, and how various people connected to the man react. When the published folded, I self-published the work and it's since become one of my better selling books.

Has the genre you write in had an impact on your everyday life and relationships?

It's hard to say, because I write more than one genre. My first works are mysteries, which I have enjoyed reading for years. Now that I'm mother to a "tween" girl, I find the experience comes in handy when I'm trying to figure out what is going on in her head. (I imagine many mothers can say that.) I've recently started writing romance, because I enjoy reading them as well. I find that happy endings boost my mood, and encourage me to do more work. I hope once I get make more stories available people will find something positive in what I write.

What was the first thing you did this morning?

I went for a two-mile walk. I recently got a FitBit and am trying to improve my energy and health.

What are you working on now?

I am currently serializing a romance called Geek Overboard in the Sexy To Go romance box sets, which are published every month. The story is about a woman, dumped by her boyfriend just as she boards a cruise ship, who gets involved with a B-list actor. She agrees to pretend to be his wife in order to boost his public image.

What got you into writing your current genre?

I have worked as an editor for years, and have worked with a number of romance authors. I love the genre and the variety of stories available - everything from historical settings to paranormal beings. Romance is so versatile, with characters you want to know. I want to be a part of it.

Coffee, Tea or Hot Chocolate?

I love them all, but I do enjoy hot Earl Grey on a cold day.

What's the most valuable piece of advice you've been given about writing?

Just write. It's short and simple, but it holds true. Write now, edit later.

What's the worst?

I wouldn't call it bad advice, but sometimes people suggest I should write like (insert other author here). I can only be myself.

Where can readers find you and your books?

I am online at www.KathrynLively.com and Twitter @MsKathrynLively. My Amazon page has all my current books.

http://www.amazon.com/Kathryn-Lively/e/B004FW06U8/

I have to admit I love mystery books and spend most of my reading time (yes I'm that busy I have to have designated reading times!) devouring book after book. Currently I'm reading one of Kathryn's called: Killing the Kordovas. Just click on the cover for more information on it!

http://amzn.com/B00FVYW3MI

A big thank you for Kathryn for taking the time to answer my questions. Don't forget if you would like to be interviewed please get in touch!

No comments: