Tuesday, March 27, 2007

The Muse

Writing is a strange occupation, for some its harder then others but all who attempt it know deep down that it is their muses that compel them to write. Occasionally people find that their Muse's have 'gone on holiday' and they hit a writers block, every job has good days and bad days and its how you work through those bad days that makes the good days seem all the more worthwhile.
I'm currently working on three projects one I may have to trim as I'm just finishing off and I've gone miles over the word count limit.The second I've almost actually finished which I'm very impressed with myself about, its only a short story (5k) but it will be the first one I've actually completed away from the computer. The third story is something I've had in the works for a little while, its one that I didn't think I would have time to complete but then the deadline was changed and now it looks like I'll be able to submit it so I'm very excited, I've just got to knuckle down and write it!

I've been reading a lot about the writing habits of different writers, and as both a reader and a writer I'm always intrigued to see how the others do things. At present I don't really have a specific set writing time, I try and write at least 1000 words a day but if I get really into the story I can smash that word count in next to no time, just as if a scene isn't working for me it can take all day to work on it. The computer I use is the only one we have in the house that I can actually sit in front of the screen for any amount of time, all the others tend to cause me eye-strain and other problems. It is situated in a corridor, which isn't the most private of places but it suits my purpose and I don't mind distractions in fact I work better when there's some sort of noise or movement going on around me. The reason I love sitting and working where it is, is because just outside the window I can see right into a foxes den and often as I'm writing will be able to see the foxes come out and play. So now as I write this the mist is just rising and there's a slightly chill to the air but I'm inside all tucked up and the foxes have just got home from a night hunting.

I have a number of reviews I need to get finished as well but at the moment I'm really into two of the stories I'm working on and can't turn away from them, but I will have the stories finished before the end of the week so I'll work on the reviews then. I love having numerous projects on the go at the same time, I find it's refreshing to be able to switch between them when one starts to get stale or slow down, it allows me to have a different perspective on things.

Anyway back to the writing!

No comments: